Considering I’m only taking three classes this semester, I’ve been pretty busy with Senior Design stuff so far. We had a technical review paper due two weeks ago and a proposal due next week… too much writing for my tastes.
Anyway, I’m the webmaster for the group, so I’ve been working on getting a website together. I grabbed a .tk domain name for the website, so that we don’t have to deal with the horrible Georgia Tech hosting url. Anyway, the site’s at http://www.pneumaniacs.tk if you want to see what we’re up to.[Edit: the .tk domain expired and now it points at some spam page. Here’s the direct link to our project page] I’ll be updating it throughout the semester as we get more work done on the project.
If there was any doubt up to this point that I have way too much time on my hands, this post should put that doubt to rest. Cruising the web the other day, I ran across a link to Cubeecraft’s new Obama figurine. For those of you not familiar with Cubeecraft, they make print-able fold-up templates for paper figurines with little square heads – pretty cool stuff. They have a bunch of characters, with one of their latest being the Obama one. Following are some pics of my experience “building” one:
So, in the vein of tearing stuff apart, I ran across some pics I took a while back of my old SGH-E105 phone. I’m really hard on my phones, so the case was destroyed after about two years of use. After sourcing a new case off Ebay, I completely disassembled the phone to put the pieces in the new case. Pics of the torn apart phone after the break…
I’ve been going on an Ebay selling binge for the last week or so, which has meant some heavy use of my little DigiWeigh postal scale. All this weighing resulted in the battery that I got with the scale two-odd years ago finally eating it.
I’m in the process of cleaning out my room in preparation for my move to California at the end of this semester, so I decided to dig into my box of old electronic crap that I’ve been hauling around for a few years. In doing so, I ran across my trusty old Hewlett Packard Scanjet 4470 scanner that I’ve had since middle school. It hasn’t worked for a couple of years due to a bum power supply, but I managed to scrounge up another 12 volt supply and turn it on. It turns out that all these years of hauling it around have caught up with it, and it doesn’t scan very well anymore. I tried several scans with it, and they all came out with rainbow lines across them:
After reading a few forum posts, I came to the conclusion that the CFL tube used to front-light the media being scanned is on the fritz. Couple this with the fact that HP doesn’t have any drivers that will work with Leopard, and I decided it was time to retire the old scanner to the dumpster. Being a EE, I couldn’t resist tearing it apart first to see its guts, so I thought I’d share the results of that with you, and thus begins… Continue reading “HP Scanjet 4470 Teardown with Pictures”→